Learn New Things!

Discussion in 'Activities' started by sean893, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Mrs may the pm of the uk

2. Good Morning everyone! Happy 20th December 2018, and I have something new to share today!

I am currently on the midst of doing what can be called as my
    Final Year Project! It's an academic module in my college and this subject alone counts for 2 modules. The short abbreviation for Final Year Project, is FYP.

My project title is Multimedia Education Games to Encourage Healthy Eating Among Children. Target audience is kids in Malaysia 6-11 years old!

Me setting up the game scenes in Action in Unity!

According to my module supervisor, I am required to create at least 3 levels. Oh, and documentation-wise, not to mention the over 100-page look-like thesis...

My deadline of my project is 16 January 2019, which also falls on my birthday! I did make some progress, but the deadline's closing in faster than I could do so far!

Feel free to discuss anything Unity and C# related! If not, as always feel free to bring up a new knowledge of your own to share it with others as per this thread! :D

3. Trauma can cause issues that are transferrable to your kids and even grandkids.

4. Randomizes algorithms are surprisingly good at solving NP-Complete problems in theoretical computer science. It’s unintuitive why introducing randomization can help speed up a program’s average run significantly

5. Hello thehappyemo! That's a brand new statement!

Yes, childhood trauma can indeed cause issues that can transfer to one's future child. For example, a mother of 45 years of age had went through trauma of being in relationship with an unsupportive and unkind husband who is an alcoholic and only fuels the strain of a marriage/or relationship! When the child is born, she may learn from her mother the following behaviour:

"You should never marry with any man you meet. Every man in this world will either cheat you or treat you like someone who doesn't even deserve to exist. I've have that experience with him for over 7 years."

In other words, I could categorise this under post-traumatic stress disorder OR suffering of domestic violence, which can transfer to children!

What comes in your mind to further discuss of this? It would be even better if there are facts and citations included!

Hi Togekiss!

I'm not sure what kind of algorithm are you talking about! Is it related to some kind of technical coding problems? And what is "NP-complete"? I need a definition!

6. What I was talking about specifically, wasnt necessarily post traumatic stress though that can be applied here, was the idea that long term stress or trauma at an early age cause epigenetic changes to a person. To those who dont know what epigenetic changes are, they are not direct changes to your DNA chemical structure, but changes that alter how that DNA is accessed. Depending on the situation,the changes can vary, but some include diminished release of Growth Hormone and damage to the feedback loop that regulates levels of Cortisol and chemicals related to the sympathetic nervous system. One way they determined this was by looking people who committed suicide. Those who were abused/abandoned at a young age had underdeveloped neurons in the regions that control the stress response, those who became depressed later on in life for some reason didnt.

I say it can be passed down because these epigenetic changes can be passed down several generations, so even if you initially dont have a predisposition to depression genetically, if you are abandoned or abused as a kid, that can have an affect on the development of your kids.

Unfortunately I dont have citations, this is just something covered in my neuroscience class. I apologize for the wall of text, not sure how to make it look nice via phone.

7. NP-Completeness gets into a whole world of computational complexity theory that I can welcome you to. The first idea that we should get our head around is that there are some problems that are pretty hard to solve in computer science. Some, like sorting, are fairly straightforward and have algorithms that sort lists in time roughly proportional to the size of the list. Other problems, are much harder. These problems are so hard that the time it takes to solve them is exponential in terms of the size of the problem. Like if your problem were 100 units big, it would take roughly take 2 raised to the 100 power time (this is around 10^33) which is a disgustingly long time. Of course, there is a possibility that we just aren't clever enough and haven't found a fast enough algorithm, but the top computer scientists around the world have been trying for the last 40 ish years. There are problems that are easily checkable (give me a sample solution and I'll tell you if its right) that are thought to be hard to solve, and this is what NP-Complete problems are.

For the randomized algorithm part, there is the Boolean Satisfiability Problem (SAT) that has a nice randomized algorithm that usually solves SAT in a reasonable time