content restriction in fan fiction

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Distance, Aug 1, 2011.

1. The reason for my post here today is to hopefully save fan fic from itself. Many of you have taken it upon yourself to police the content of posts in this forum section. While i understand that mods rarely visit, your restrictions pose a greater threat to the activity level than a few spam threads. Rp threads and interactive stories even social commentary disguised as a fictional guide are still representations of fiction and belong here. Forums are a unique medium and as such will attract unique takes on the traditional story.
    What i've discovered as an author is that marketing is hard. It does not take much to chase away a prospective reader. Also that a selective readership is not a representative readership. You ostrasize and belittle writers that do not conform to your values limiting both those willing to read and willing to submit works.
    Rp threads are strange. I dont get them. But am i an authority on their entertainment value? Am i sole arbiter on what is a acceptable story on fan fiction? The truth is that rp stories are popular. They bring readers and writers who would otherwise ignore this section. They bring in people who have not planned any great epic tales and might just inspire one in them. They bring in people who might just give you honest feedback on your stories. They may even bring you new fans.
    Today i was a little rude to feather hunter because he/she was rude to me. For this i sincerely apologize. I tried a rational approach to explain my case but he/she would have none of it. So i put my case out to you all.
    Fan fic needs new blood. The worst that could happen is you will have to scroll a little to find the story you want to read. If you look at my threads in fan fic you will see an encouragement to participate. I try to welcome new writers and bring innovative concepts. And for those of you questioning my fan fic credentials just look at page 4 of the writer's cafe. Ive been here from the beginning.
    I sincerely hope that you will rethink (as a community) your current policies on content restrictions and make fan fiction a welcoming place to all types of fiction because i do not feel welcome here and i am not alone.

I apologize for any typos. Im on iphone and i have big fingers.

2. Dude. Hunter=Male. Huntress=Female.

Feather plus Hunter= A male who hunts feathers.

3. I just didnt want to assume. People get mad when you guess the wrong sex.

4. The feather part throws me off. Its kinda girly. But who am i to judge? My name is distance. Sounds pretty girly too. I just like the emotion i feel when i hear the word distance.

5. Here's the thing,

Most role-players here in Fan Fiction and in the general KaW population suck at it and are the people who are generally rejected in real world society. So they come here to pretend they are someone else to seem cool and be accepted. Like the warriors cat role-players. They like to pretend to be cats because in real life, they have nothing else to do and are welcomed by others like them.

In Fan Fiction, we simply won't allow them to taint our purely artistic society and humiliate us like they did when they got Fan Fic taken of AT.

6. You have a narrow-minded view on what art is. Are there going to be bad threads? Absolutely. This is a 9 plus game. Should a few bad apples make you cut down the tree? And morally who make you arbiter of what is good and bad? You have your opinions. Is that enough to inhibit the development of the creative process? A bad roleplayer is one without practice. Show them how to do it right. Lead by example before dismissing an artform. Role playing is story-telling. It is the beginnings of character development and would make a great training tool as such.

7. How would your artistic society be harmed by bad rp? You may have to scroll down to find the thread you were looking for. They may -gasp- interact with your friends. They may actually learn something about writing from the skilled writers here. You chase away a community of people you are only hurting yourself.

8. I change my mind on that last sentence. You are hurting yourself, the fan fic community, and the people who could learn alot from you but are too intimidated by your actions to participate in a meaningful way. Btw i disagree with the moving of ff from active topics. I think it should continue to be there. But it is not a humiliation. It is an example of the same type of intolerance you show here.

9. Wow. You are so bipartisan on the subject it's not even funny. We should make a court!

10. I make good arguments tho dont i?

11. Hmmm, yes. It just gets aggravating! Fail Rp after rp after rp.

12. You know, I actually wouldn't mind the role-plays if they were done right. But that would require up to 3 threads per role-play for that to happen. (In character, out of character, and profile thread) I would definitely like to have a separate thread for roleplaying. I haven't roleplayed in a long time, and would enjoy doing it again, if only there was some level of literacy. Distance, you're on to something. And I agree that some people judge too harshly on some stories.
    Feather, I used to role-play on a different site. In fact, I used to role-play warrior cats. Yep. And I found it fun, and relaxing, and an excellent way to blow off steam. Can we not argue that roleplays are a collective story?

And somehow I have a horrid feeling that I'm going to regret posting this. But I'm feeling reckless right now, so I'm gonna do it anyway.

13. I personally dont know alot about rp threads. The closest thing ive participated in is my antiguide2 which is more of a social commentary wrapped in a fictional guide.

14. I've been trying to get back into rping. Like I said, it's been awhile. I would love to get an organized role-play on here, my problem is I don't have a pc to do it. Ill have to wait until august 23rd.

15. I probably wont participate but i am genuinely interested in reading an rp thread done properly. Im curious how they would work.

16. It's actually really fun. You ought to think about joining. If not right away, you can always join a bit later, after you see how its done.

17. Perhaps once i see how its done. Lately i havent had much time for forums. Marketing my book is a real pain. From advertising to social media to public gatherings its like a second full time job. Plus im trying to write a second novel. Its been a busy couple of months.

18. Well, I wish you luck with everything. So is you're book available as an ebook?