Innocence

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by *Irin (01), Jul 8, 2010.

1. Dash and iZ reached us. We continued walking. Liz and I told them about the ride along the river, and they told us about they're walk in the forest. There wasn't much to tell, which I was thankful for, because that means there wasn't a chance of anyone getting hurt.
    Liz handed iZ his sword back. For a second, I think I almost saw him smile. He was definitly happy to have the sword by his side.

The day wore on. We walked. The sun rose, then sank, and we got closer to Erram. I think it was around sunset that I realized that the storm clouds I saw, weren't clouds at all.

2. It was smoke.
    Without a word, I started running. I heard the others say something, but I couldn't comprehend it. I felt fear.
    I ran the last mile between me and Erram. Then I stood, stunned, gasping for breath. If front of me, lay the grand gates of Erram, one off of its hinges. Obviously taken down with magic.
    Slowly, I stepped forward, and slipped past the gate. I looked around. A few small flames were scattered around the city. Houses lay in ashes.
    "Who could have done this?" I said, in barely a whisper.
    I took a deep breath, and the stench of blood filled my nose. I looked down. The ground was red.
    I shook my head. How could this have happened...
    Out of nowhere, a spear came flying at me, just missing the tip of my nose.
    "Whose there!" came a cautions voice from the shadows. "Friend or foe to Erram."
    My heart skipped a beat. "Friend!" I answered softly.
    "Who are you?" said the voice.
    "I am Irin of Erram, Defender of the Innocent. Who are you?"
    Something emerged from the shadows. A neko. "I apologize for the mistake. As I'm sure you can see, we have been attacked recently. My name is Rika. I am also a friend to Erram, and all of Soroth."
    Behind me, I heard everyone coming.
    Rika tensed. Being neko, she could not see. She wore a black scarf around her eyes. Her skin was tan, and she had long , black hair, that was dark red at the end.
    "Rika, these are my friends." I said. I noticed she relaxed a little. "Can you tell me what happened here?"

Rika sighed. I don't know. I heard footsteps. Then I heard the Gate collapse. Then people screaming. I wish I knew more.."
    Liz came to stand beside me. I saw the shock on her face.
    "Do you know if anyone else saw what happened?" I asked Rika.
    She shook her head. "I wish I could tell you more.."
    I looked ahead. I saw the huge, beautiful palace, where The Queen, Arabella ruled. It looked untouched. But I knew looks could be deceiving.

3. Dash stepped forward. He bent down to examine a body. It was a soldier... And not one of ours. I recognized the crest that the soldier wore on his armor. It was a single sword, surrounded by fire. It was the crest of a neighboring country, Arlem. Arlem's ruler was vile, and evil. I had seen him once, and the second I saw him, I knew I despised him. And I knew what this dead soldier meant. It meant war.
    I looked ahead. Dead bodies covered the ground. I wondered about Renethon as I saw families look for their loved ones. I looked around. There were a few buildings still standing... A few homes... The marketplace didn't look so bad... The healers home...a cathedral... And as I mentioned before, the palace. If we got the elves that were most skilled in magic (often called magic masters) to help, we might be able to rebuild the city in 5 days, maybe a week. And we had to prepare...
    I turned to face everyone. "These are now times of war... we must face our enemy and fight. We must show Arlem that Soroth is strong! But first we must rebuild."
    "Agreed... we must drive the enemy away from our land."Liz said.
    "Let’s spread out and help the wounded. Then we can make plans of warfare.” said Lyn.

I nodded. "good idea." I'm going to the palace... I want to make sure everything is alright." I turned and started walking. The destruction of the city was too much to bear. I tried Not to look. How dare they attack this city...MY city! I vowed to make them pay...

4. Rika listened to the others. When she heard Irin's footsteps fade, she said, "I want to help,"
    "Alright. Let's split up," Dash said.
    "I'll go with Dash. iZ, you can go with... I'm sorry, what did you say your name was?" Lyn asked.
    "Rika," she answered.
    "iZ, you can go with Rika. Liz, you can-"Lyn was cut off.
    "I'll be fine on my own," Liz said sharply. Then she left.
    Lyn and Dash glanced at each other.
    After a moment, Dash said, "we'll meet up at the palace around Midnight." The sun was setting now.
    "I'll meet you there," Rika said. She heard Lyn and Dash walk away. Everyone knew that it would be another long night.

5. I stood before the palace. Blood was smeared on the doors. My heart started beating faster. I grasped the handle and pulled. The door was heavy, but it opened. I entered a hallway. It was dark, and empty. My footsteps echoed on the marble floors. I kept walking and entered a huge room with a throne, two sets of stairs, and two hallways on either side. I scanned the room. A few soldiers from Arlem lay on the ground. None were from Soroth. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. I stood there a moment more, then took the hallway on the left.
    I had been it the palace many times before. In fact, I lived there. I was like the queen's right hand man. We had been good friends before she became queen, many years ago. Three years ago, the king died in battle. Ever since then, Arrabella and I only have a professional relationship, but our friendship has not been forgotten.
    Because of my speed, Arrabella uses me to send important messages to other cities. That way the messages cannot be intercepted by any enemies we are or are not aware of. Because I am not always in Erram, I can't maintain a house. So when I am in Erram, I have my own room in the palace. In a way, the palace is like my home, so I know it well. And I had a pretty good idea of where Arabella would be.

6. Liz started walking along the main road. The destruction she saw terrified her. She stopped walking and looked down. I soldier of Soroth lay at her feet. He was alive, but unconscious. He had a cut in his chest, a deep wound that was still bleeding. "I need a healer over here!" Liz shouted.

7. Dash and Lyn walked along a side road. They were keeping their eyes out for magic masters, who were normally indicated by a crest that was either sewed on their cloak, or tattooed on their skin. They saw no one with the crest.
    The sky was dark now, and the moon slowly began to rise.
    "I don't think we'll be able to rebuild this city in a week’s time." Lyn said softly.
    "I think we could if we had the motivation... And we do have the motivation. We have to defend Soroth!"
    Lyn only nodded.

8. iZ and Rika were walking along a different side road. "Is it bad," Rika asked, "the destruction?"
    "Yeah, "iZ said quietly. He looked around, wondering what Erram used to look like.
    "I've only been in Erram for a few days. I came from Cevka. It must be hard for you to see your home like this."
    "Um, I don't live here. This is my first time here."
    "Oh, where did you come from?"
    iZ shrugged. "Around." he said.
    "Oh," Rika sounded disappointed. But she knew iZ would come around eventually. They always do.

9. I threw the door of the meeting room open with a loud bang. Arrabella looked up from where she was sitting at a long, Narrow table. I titled my legs and bent them, while my torso bent down. This is the traditional bow or curtsied from an Elvin female warrior.
    "My lady, Arabella, I'm sorry to have intruded. I only wished to see if you were safe."
    She nodded her head. "I am not safe if my kingdom is not safe." she said softly. Arrabella stood. She was dressed in white. Her hair, blond and wavy, fell to her side, uncombed. Arabella turned and walked toward the balcony at the far side of the room. "Come," she said.
    I stood next to her and looked out.
    "What do you see."
    "I see destruction... I see evil... I see...something."
    "Look harder." she commanded.

I strained to see what the something was. It was a pattern of sorts. Then I saw it.
    I gasped.

10. "I need a healer, now!" Liz shouted again.
    A woman rushed to Liz's side and examined the soldier. Then she shook her head. "He's hurt too badly. There's nothing I can do to save him."
    "There must be something," Liz pleaded.
    "He’s lost too much blood. He'll die within the hour."

"No," Liz said firmly. "I'll not let you leave him to die!"
    "Nothing can save him now."
    "I won't accept that. Please. Help him. At least you'll know you did everything you could."
    The woman sighed. "I suppose I can see if I can help. Maybe ease his passing... Take the pain away."
    Liz nodded. "Thank you," she whispered.

11. Dash and Lyn kept walking. They heard a scream. Dash unsheathed his sword and Lyn strung her bow. They spun around, looking for the source of the scream. A woman had just found her husband, dead. She knelt by the body, and cried.
    Dash and Lyn lowered their weapons.
    "I keep expecting to wake up from this nightmare at any moment. I know it's not likely to happen, but I wish it would." Lyn said.

12. If the railing wasn't there, I would have fallen off of the balcony. I was that shocked.
    "You see it too, then?" Arabella asked me.
    I nodded. It looked as though the Army of Arlem had burned the buildings to make Arlem's symbol. They were claiming this land for themselves. "It’s barbaric!" I said.
    "And this is only the beginning. They'll be back soon. And they'll bring more forces with them."
    "They must know about the werewolf problem. They must have chosen last night, knowing that some of the best fighters would be in the forest."
    "They know more than we think they know. It angers me."
    "We have to rebuild, and fast." I said, trying to think of a plan."
    "Your right. We don't know when they'll be back,"

13. Liz watched as the women tended to the man. She moved him to the side out the street, and tried to stop the bleeding.
    "Husband?" said the woman.

"I’m sorry...what did you say?" Liz asked, confused.

"Is he your husband?" she said without looking up.
    "No... I'm er, not married,"

"Brother, then?"

"No. I've never seen him before in my life."
    "Interesting... why were you so intent on saving him?"
    Liz was silent for a moment. "Because I wasn't able to save another." Her eyes started to glisten.

14. iZ glanced back. They had been walking for awhile, and... Was that a TAIL? It was. Rika had a tail. iZ guessed it was part of being a neko. He had never seen a neko before.

15. "I want to wake up too." Dash said. He walked to the woman. "I’m...so sorry." he said to the woman. She shook her head.

Dash turned then, and rejoined Lyn. "How are we going to get enough forces to fight this war, when half of them are dead," he whispered angrily.

16. "How are we going to get enough forces to fight this war?" I said. "They’ve seen what Arlem has done, and they know it will happen again."
    Arabella disregarded this. "The people of Soroth are Loyal. They will fight for the land they have always known. Erram may have been the only city hit. There are Armies in every city. And... There is the matter of the Dwarves." Arrabella paused.
    Ahh... Arabella was smart... Okay, let me clue you in.
    I told you about the Torp mountains, right? Where the (Not so) Tranquil River comes from. Well, some Dwarves live there. Here's how it happened.
    About 1000 years ago, the Dwarves helped us in the Battle at the Red River, (I'll explain that battle later). As thanks for coming to our aid, The king allowed them to reside in the Torp mountains. But here's the thing: Arlem would never let them stay. And if (heaven forbid) Arlem should take our land, the dwarves would be driven from their home. Makes sense that they should help us, right? I told you Arabella was smart.
    "Irin... I need you to go to the mountains. And go to Trebis along the way. Spread the news of the war and make sure they weren't attacked. Then ask the dwarves for help... Make sure they know what's at stake. Tell them what happened here. Let them know it could happen there... Whatever it takes! We must have their support!"
    I nodded. I understood, but I didn't want to leave... Not now. We needed to rebuild. "Who will organize the rebuild?" I asked.
    "Your friend...Lizeren...she's very resourceful. Or I could do it. Irin, we need their help as soon as possible!"
    I could see no way of winning this argument. "I shall leave in the morning," I said.

17. Liz sat next to the soldier and hugged her knees. With one hand she stroked the soldier's hair. He looked so much like him...
    "Stop your work," a voice said.
    Liz and the healer looked up. "I must be dreaming...or dead." Liz said softly. Before her stood a man, covered in gold.

"No, you’re awake and alive, Lizeren," he said.
    "Who are you, and how did you know my name?" Liz asked. She did not feel panic...instead, she felt amazement. The man was beautiful. He shined with a faint glimmer of light.
    "I am Gavin. I know your name because I know your heart. Your heart is honest.
    "..Thank you?" Liz wasn't sure what to say.
    Gavin turned to the healer. "Stop your work." The healer obeyed without question.
    Gavin knelt beside Liz and the soldier. He murmured a few words. The soldiers wound disappeared and he started breathing easier, although he was still unconscious.
    "Thank you." Liz said. Her eyes sparkled with happiness.

18. iZ looked up. The moon was high in the sky. It must be around midnight. "We should probably head back to the palace now." he said, quietly, as usual.
    Rika nodded. "Do you think a war will start?"
    "I would think so."
    "Are you going to fight?"
    "Maybe... It depends..."
    "On what?"
    "On...a lot of things."

They were silent for a few moments, the, "I plan to fight. Don't think my blindness will keep me from doing so. But it would be nice to have someone...familiar by my side." Rika hooked her arm around iZ.

19. Lyn and Dash were still looking for a magic master. "Maybe they're already planning the rebuild." Lyn said
    "In which case we just wasted a whole night looking for them." Dash was angry, and he was showing it. "It ought to be close to midnight anyway. Let's head back," he said. Then he turned around, and Lyn followed.

20. I bowed to the queen, then exited the meeting room. I took a left, then a right, then walked up three flights of stairs, then took a left. As I rounded the corner, I ran into...
    "Renethon!" I said surprised.
    "Irin, your okay. I was worried about you."
    "Yes, I'm okay. Are you?"
    "More or less. A few scrapes, but I'll live."
    "And the students?"
    "Then went right into battle when Arlem attacked. I haven’t seen anyone, but that means nothing. I'm sure they're okay. They're probably just helping the wounded." I heard a hint of concern in his voice.
    "I think I might’ve seen a few when I passed through the streets," I lied.
    He nodded. "Have you seen Arabella?"
    "I just spoke to her. I'm leaving for Trebis in the morning, then onto the Torp mountains." We started walking to my room.
    "what are her plans?"
    "Rebuild Erram, then make an ally out of the Dwarves,"

"I can't imagine that they would say no. Arlem would kick them out."

"That’s what we figured,"
    We arrived at the door to my room. I opened it and we entered. My room was big. It had a huge bed, a big dresser and a closet. There were also two glass doors that led outside to a balcony, much like the one in the meeting room. I was on the highest floor, so I had a spectacular view of Erram...normally. I turned away from the doors. It broke my heart to see Erram this way. Hopefully it would look better when I returned.
    "How long do you think you'll be gone," Renethon asked.
    "A week. Maybe 10 days. I doubt I'll be longer than that." I started to put down the weapons I had been carrying for so long. They weren't my best weapons. But they were still heavy. I never take my best weapons hunting, except my dagger, which is the only one I have.
    Over my bed, a wooden display case hung on the wall. Within the case, was my sword, Memory. I would take it out later. I knew I should rest now.